Celebrating the identity, heritage, & culture of Ulster & the Ulster-Scots (a.k.a. "Scots-Irish") people worldwide!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

While wearing an Ulster shirt...

Today, I wore an Ulster shirt given to me by a friend while visiting Belfast. I went to youth camp in South Carolina and while eating supper one of the councilors of the event commented on my shirt (everyone seemed to notice it but only two people commented on it). He asked me about it and I began telling him of my trip there. When I mentioned how pro-South the folks in Belfast I met are, he commented, "Well, of course. Our ancestors come from there." Another councilor came over and joined the conversation and began telling how the Scots moved to Ulster and then how many of them moved to America - especially the South. We talked about the Red Hand of Ulster and discussed the subject for several minutes, each one adding something different about the connections between Ulster and Dixie. It was an interesting experience I thought I'd share with y'all.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Patriot. Its good to know that folk on the other side of the 'sheugh'know about their Ulster connections.

    From Scotland to Ulster to Dixie...same people,different accents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was watching the TV coverage of the annual Orangeman's 12th July parades in Belfast yesterday. On the stage there were flags of many nations, including the Confederate battle flag!

    ReplyDelete