Celebrating the identity, heritage, & culture of Ulster & the Ulster-Scots (a.k.a. "Scots-Irish") people worldwide!

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Jim Shannon's Ulster-Scots maiden speech

'Mr Shannon, who says he is not a fluent speaker of Ulster-Scots but is a keen enthusiast, provided a translation for his fellow MPs. "Having had the opportunity to acknowledge and express my Ulster Scots roots and thanking the Speaker for his tolerance, I'll say it so you can all understand me," he said. "There are many good things that I could say about the people of my constituency, but first of all I count it a great honour to speak on their behalf in the House of Commons.'

Click here for the video of Mr Shannon delivering the historic words before the House of Commons. Hopefully the speech will inspire further effort to save and promote the language. Congrats, Mr Shannon, and well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment